Veneers can easily correct your teeth's imperfections to help you have a more confident, beautiful smile. Veneers are a great solution for patients wanting to make minor adjustments to their smile or hide minor tooth defects and achieve ideal smile.
Dental veneers (porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates) are thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve your appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size, or length.
Dental veneers can be made from porcelain or from resin composite materials. Porcelain veneers resist stains better than resin veneers. They mimic the light-reflecting properties of natural teeth they look very realistic. You will need to discuss the best choice of veneer material for you with your dentist.
What Types of Problems Do Dental Veneers Fix?
Veneers are routinely used to fix:
- Teeth that are discolored because of:
- o stains from tetracycline or other drugs
- o excessive fluoride
- o other causes
- Teeth that are worn down.
- Teeth that are chipped or broken.
- Teeth that are misaligned, irregularly shaped.
- Teeth with gaps between them (to close the space between these teeth)..
Getting a dental veneer usually requires three steps- one for a consultation and two to make and apply the veneers. One tooth or many teeth can undergo the veneering process at the same time.
To prepare a tooth for a veneer, your dentist may have to reshape the tooth surface to achieve a the desired aesthetic result. The amount of tooth preparation could be nearly equal to the thickness of the veneer to be added to the tooth surface. Next, your dentist will make a model, or impression, of your tooth. This model is sent out to a dental laboratory, which makes your veneer. It usually takes 2-4 weeks for the veneers to come back from the laboratory. Temporary dental veneers can be used in the meantime.
Dental Veneer is one of the popular cosmetic dental procedure as:
- They provide a natural tooth appearance.
- Gums tolerates porcelain well.
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant.
- A color can be selected to make dark teeth appear whiter.
- Veneers require minimal alterations to natural tooth surface to achieve the desired appearance of the tooth.
- Rapid fix for minor teeth defect or irregularities.
Care for Veneers
Veneers are very easy to maintain and does not require special care.
- Regularly brush your teeth (veneers are cleaned in the same way as your teeth).
- Do not put excessive pressure on the veneers.
- Visit your dentist twice a year.
If you want to know the details of the procedure or make an appointment for a consultation, call 940-320-4000